Turning 22

>> Friday, April 10, 2009

So now I am 22, there isn’t much I can do about it, I am 22, no longer a young and carefree 21 year old but 22. 22 isn’t the first age I have tried to avoid, in fact I have cried before my birthday every year since I was 16 because I didn’t want to be the next number, it seems a little young to feel like this, I mean its not like I am 50 or anything (that was for you mum), but I just don’t like getting older. Now, don’t get me wrong I love birthdays, I just don’t like getting older, but today’s birthday was like no other.


This morning I woke up super early, super excited about a day all about me (which was surprising seeing as though I went to bed very late due to some Karaoke fun fun fun). My mum and my brother Jake came down to my room to wish me a happy birthday and give me some very lovely gifts. After I had been thoroughly spoilt I headed off to Eastland to met my friend Kat for a delicious Pancake Palour breakfast. On my way to Eastland I got a phone call, one that I was not expecting. The call was from job that I had applied for and had had an interview for only yesterday in Castlemaine, the call was offering me the position as Dietitian there starting on the 27th of April if still wanted it. At first I was really really really excited and called Mum and Dad, my brothers and Dave and told them the good news, that I had finally got a ‘proper‘ job and that all my years of uni were about to be paid off. The only catch was they wanted me to check out the contract and send it back to them by the end of the day so that they could let the other applicants know before the Easter break. However, I definitely got caught up in the moment, and spent the morning high as a kite with the news of my new job. I had my yummy breakfast with Kitty and then went to the movies with her to see Mall Cop.


After the movie, I ran home to get changed so that I could me another friend, Perri for the afternoon and I thought that I would just swing via church and see mum before I went into the city and send off the contract from there. However by the time I got to the church the reality of taking a job in Castlemaine started to hit home...if was going to work in Castlemaine, I would have to move there, which means moving out of home, moving away from Dave and my mates and giving up a lot of the things I do through out my week. Suddenly my very exciting news made me cry, but this time not just with tears of joy, but also tears or sadness, fear and a little bit of stress. So instead of going out and continuing to celebrate my birthday with Pez, I ended up sitting in my mum’s office crying and freaking out. But in the end, I signed the contract and sent it off and tried to pull my self together.

That night we went out to Tepanyaki, because I LOVE JAPANESE FOOD, with my family and grand parents, and celebrated with a fantastic Carousel ice cream cake, so my day ended on a high, but I tell you what it was up and down and up and down. I don’t think that I have every experienced emotional highs and lows like I did today and even though, it is super exciting and super scary all at the same time it is the start of the next chapter of my life. Its all just happening a lot faster than I has planned. This time in 2 and a half weeks I will be writing this blog from some where in Castlemaine having started a new job in a new town away from everything I am used to... but before I do that there are still lots to do like find somewhere to live, go away for Easter and quit my other job but...

I guess that's all part of the adventure!

5 comments:

Xander Coleman May 14, 2009 at 8:16 PM  

22 was my least-favourite age to become.

Kevin Anthony May 14, 2009 at 8:17 PM  

try being 23...

Wendy Glen May 14, 2009 at 8:18 PM  

Ya know, I think that "exciting" and "scary" often seem to go together . . . . concentrate on the "exciting" and let the "scary" take care of itself as you sort through things one by one . . . oh, and CONGRATULATIONS!

Kate Wilkinson May 14, 2009 at 8:19 PM  

Hi Em! Congrats on the 'proper' job hehe. Your reaction when you got it sounded exactly like mine when i got my job in Shepparton, excitement followed by tears of 'oh shit i have to move away from everything i know to a country town'. Just want you to know that yes, it will be one of the scariest things you'll do in your life, but the support and ... Read Moreunderstanding you'll get from everyone you meet in Castlemaine will be so great, especially the ones you work with. Allied health staff in the country are all pretty young and just starting out too so i'm sure you'll make friends quick! Make the most of it and get as much experience as you can, then you can come back to Melbourne where people will be falling over themselves to employ you. At least that's my plan... See you at graduation!

Shirley Agnew Lewis May 14, 2009 at 8:20 PM  

It was an amazing day! So glad I could be there to help you through it. All is going to work out Em, I know. We just have to keep trusting God! I love you heaps! Love Mum

eXTReMe Tracker

View My Stats

  © Free Blogger Templates Wild Birds by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP