5 years out

>> Friday, July 24, 2009

As if it wasn't enough that Jake turned 17 this week, I also had my 5 year out high school reunion. I tell you what, I am starting to feel really really old!

I am not old enough to have had a 5 year reunion, it certainly doesn't feel like I left school 5 years ago!

In my mind I imagined that when I went to my high school reunion, that I would be super successful, skinny and beautiful, all the things I never felt I was at school, but 5 years go by pretty fast and in reality not much changes at all. Everyone still hung out in the same groups, the pretty and popular girls were still pretty and popular, the smart 'nerdy' kids were still smart and 'nerdy' and the 'cool' kids were out having a fag, just like old times. Everyone pretty looked and acted the same like it was only last week that we were all there at school.

For me though, I realised one very important thing was different, my self confidence, even thought I was super nervous about going (if you want to know just how nervous...ask Dave), I realised that I was happy with how my life had turned out so far and that i didn't have anything to be disappointed in. It didn't matter if the popular crowd still didn't like me, because I had plenty of friends, including the ones I able to catch up with on the night. It was werid, because as much as I let all that stuff get to me at school, it really wasn't important tonight. I guess that's what growing up is all about, learning that the things that you though made you who you were at high school really had nothing to do with who you were at all.

All in all it was a crazy night, it was really great to catch up with people that I hadn't seen since I finished, and find out what they were doing...although thanks to facebook I knew a lot of it anyway.

The thing that I liked the most was the fact that even though 5 years had past everything still just went back to normal, people just picked up where they left off. It was so nice to know that even though time and life had come between us, it didn't matter, my friends were still my friends. So even though I was way too young to have attended, and I wasn't quite as ready as I would have liked to be, I was glad I went, it made me think back to all the bits I love and realise how much I have grown since and how far I have come.

I guess that's just all part of the adventure!

0 comments:

eXTReMe Tracker

View My Stats

  © Free Blogger Templates Wild Birds by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP