YA retreat

>> Saturday, August 8, 2009

Now before I say anything else, I have something to confess, as much as I love all the young adults from Box Hill Salvos I was not at all excited about the Young Adults retreat. I just couldn't be bothered, it was going to take a while to get there and I was so tired and I had had a really crap week and all I really wanted to do was either crawl into a hole and let the time go by, or curl up on the couch with a DVD...but because I can't say no and I felt guilt for even thinking about trying, today I spent the day down in Sorrento at the Young Adults treat and I had a really ripper time.


I think that what actually helped the most was the fact that I removed myself from the things that were currently 'my life' if that makes sense. I was in a completely different town, far away from my house in Castlemaine, or the one in Melbourne and I didn't have any work stuff with me, kids church stuff or even my laptop. I was removed from the things that were currently stressing my out. And because I was removed I had a chance to just chill and it was really really nice.


I find it really difficult to actually stop, I think for my whole life I have had the thought there is always something that I need to be doing...even if its stupid, like getting my blog up to date. It is very rare that I would actually just stop and breathe and chill and I really think that I need to start doing it more. In fact I know that I do.


Here is the thing though...often when I have tried to do nothing in the past, people in my house have told me that I am being lazy, or have been annoyed at me and have generally just not understood what I was trying to do. I think the reason they do this is because they are not very good at stopping either. However I am definitely starting to learn the blessings that come from a Day of rest, especially those spent with people who build you up, or enjoying God's creation.


On the radio last night, on light FM, they were talking about this idea of Sabbath life and the blessings that come and I think that it is something that I would like to embrace...I am not sure how yet, but I can definitely see the potential.


Anyway, I am really glad that I went on the retreat and I am really glad that I have people in my life who are happy just to hang out...thanks for helping me to (in true gen Y style) 'chilax'!


I guess that's just all part of the adventure!

1 comments:

Simon Robertson September 9, 2009 at 5:27 PM  

nice stuff em. i agree with ya.

:-)

eXTReMe Tracker

View My Stats

  © Free Blogger Templates Wild Birds by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP